Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Onion Soup Mix Recipe

Trish in VA asked the following question:



The potatoes look yummy! Could you please share the soup mix recipe? My husband can't have all the sodium in the prepacked mixes, so we usually make our own of everything.



Well Trish, I was really excited to share it with you until I got out my Beef Soup Base and looked at the sodium content......it's not good. 1 teaspoon has 880mg of sodium. I'm pretty sure that's not a low amount.

But in case you can find a way around it, here's the recipe.

Onion Soup Mix

3/4 c. dry minced onion
1/3 c. beef soup base
4 t. onion powder
1/4 t. crushed celery seed
1/4 t. sugar

Mix and refrigerate.
5 tablespoons equals one packet.

Now by mix, they mean get out a strong spoon and mash and break up, mash and break up. It's a definite upper arm workout. Be sure to switch arms from time to time or you'll look lopsided.


Nobody wants to see that.

Since my MSG allergy keeps me from using canned broths, bouillon cubes, and consomme I went on a search and found this. I had already been using it for several years when MSG Free broths came out so I've just stuck with it. I get mine at our local Sam's Club. As you can tell in the rather blurry picture, it's well used. I always have a container of Chicken also!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Kristie said...

Hey, for what it's worth, I made your potatoes tonight with dinner. We didn't grill, so I baked them instead. Good, but totally NOT as good as yours on the grill!