Monday, September 29, 2008
In the spirit of the 100 things about me, I thought I'd list 38 things about Shawn that I love.
1. He is teaching our girls what a husband and father should be.
2. He eats everything I cook. Everything.
3. The first time he met my family there were over 80 of them. He fit in perfectly and even knew things about people that I didn't by the end of the day.
4. He would do any household chore for my mom while we were dating.
5. That included fixing a hole in the ceiling that his knee created.
6. He will help anyone in my family with anything they need. Computer, electical, plumbing, or yard work.
7. He plays soccer for three different indoor teams to keep in shape.
8. It's a good shape:)
9. He is a wonderful son to his mom and dad.
10. He proudly served his country in the Navy and Army.
11. He got out of the Army when we found out he would go to Korea for a year without McKinley and me.
12. He let me name our children after assassinated Presidents.
13. He let me make the girls middle names after amazing women in my family.
14. He left his family and hometown behind to move to mine.
15. He understands the importance of me being a stay-at-home mom with our girls.
16. He is a man of God.
17. He drives just fast enough to keep me on the edge of my seat!
18. He buys me cars that have all the bells and whistles.
19. He didn't want to own a tv but went out and bought one while we were dating so I could watch a movie.
20. He lets me make all the decorating desicions in our house and helps me with anything that I do.
21. He always compliments my new hairdos, even when I didn't get one!
22. He would rather read an owners manual then a novel.
23. He can fix anything in the house that I happen to break.
24. He has put up with me almost everyday for the last 13 1/2 years.
25. He gives 3 days a year to be the camp nurse at the schools 5th grade camp. He'll do it for 9 years and our girls will only be there 3 of those!
26. He takes excellent care of all the women in this house.
27. He has compassion toward the girls aches and pains when I don't see blood and tell them they're fine.
28. He is a big kid at heart and bought Rock Band for the Wii while we were at Disney World. Because it's a group game he called the neighbor children and asked if they could come down and play.
29. He keeps me sane.
30. He attends the traditional Sunday morning church service with me even though he would prefer the contemporary.
31. He takes amazing care of the pool all summer long and rarely swims in it.
32. He never minds going to the store for me for the one thing that I forgot in a $200 trip.
33. He thinks my blog is funny:C)
34. He feels like Super Glue will fix just about anything, even busted chins.
35. He tastes milk for me when I think it might be a little past its prime.
36. He let us go to Disney World without him because he knew it was an amazing oppurtunity for the girls.
37. He let me paint his office Basil Green.
38. He is hot!! And all mine:)
Happy birthday honey. I love you!
But not quite.
Details to come about my girlfriends trip to Branson (and pictures!) but first I need your help.
My precious friend, Jen, who has an amazing, inspirational blog, has written about Mitchell and the Whitaker's and will donate $1 to me for every comment made. Please take a minute to read her post, wipe your eyes, and post a comment. By tomorrow I should be at $1,600. Shawn needs to deposit my garage sale money and some cash donations. That number is amazing! But not even halfway. Please visit her blog www.jenx67.com and help me get closer to my goal!
Stop by my fund raising page to see how far I've come and how much farther I have to go. http://pages.teamintraining.org/ok/pfchangs09/sconrad
Thanks in advance for your help!
Post a comment.
Are you still here?
************I can't get blogger to let me put in a hyperlink so you can click on the web addresses. You can look in the left column at my favorite blogs and click on Jen's link and for my fundraising page look at the top of the left column.
Thursday, September 25, 2008
I didn't quite get all recorded, but he sings: "Three strikes you're DEAD at the ole ball gaaaaammme"
Well I just realized that I forgot to tell you why I am doing Stephanie's blog instead of her doing it. Well let me just say that she is getting relief from her CRAZED LIFE!!! She took 4 of her girlfriends to Branson to have some fun shopping and movie watching and just having a break from the CRAZED MOM LIFE! I know, I know. I am such a wonderful husband! Thanks. It's no big deal. Actually, I will get my turn next week when I will go with the 5th graders to Camp Classen and be their camp nurse. This is my 5th year to do it and I wouldn't trade it for anything - as a matter of fact, I told my boss right after I took my new job in April that I have to have the first Wed-Fri off in October.
I'm watching the Oregon State/USC game and I am not a bit surprised that USC is coming back.
Anyway, I guess I've entered enough text for you to faaalllll aaasssssssslllllllleeeeeppppppppp. Steph will be baaack onnnn Sundaaay.
Tuesday, September 23, 2008
I won't quit. I am a HUGE quitter but this is something bigger then me so I won't let my friends down. But wow, it's a big commitment. That's the word!
I have just been overwhelmed lately with life in general.
Okay, enough whining!
This Saturday will be the first anniversary of Mitchell's death. I know it will be hard for the Whitaker's. Of course it will be. I, of course, have been thinking mostly of me and this e-mail from Tracy put everything back in perspective.
Just a quick note……..forgive me if I seem a little scattered this week, I am just trying to get through it. Many of you have been asking me what my “plans” are for this week or more specifically for the anniversary of Mitchell’s death (Sept. 27th). I plan on running my heart out that morning with the best group of friends a girl could ask for! There is no place I would rather be than to be there….doing what we gotta do! If you have not made it to a run lately or yet I encourage you to make it to this one and remember WHY we are doing this.
Thank you so much for your thoughts and concerns……….today, has been hard…….one year ago today John and I made the hardest and most heart wrenching decision of our lives as we decided to not continue treatment……all roads lead to death…..we just chose the less suffering one for Mitchell, 5 days later he was gone.
Keep us in your prayers…..much love,
How can anything that I'm going through right now even begin to compare to what they did? How can I complain and moan about what I've having to do to run this half marathon? It needed to be put in perspective. Now it has been.
My only regret? I won't be at the group run this Saturday. I'll be in Branson on a much needed girlfriend weekend trip. I'll be running alone on Saturday, but I will be thinking only of the Whitakers.
Please take a moment to stop by their blog and read a bit about this amazing family. Then stop by mine and catch up with my fundraising.
Monday, September 22, 2008
Wait, don't woman have mammograms? Not so much men?
I made one last ditch circle of the area and came up with a magazine called Watercolor. Mmmm, not so much. I resorted to checking my e-mail on my phone.
After the whole 'squishing' ordeal was over I was checking out and scheduling next years appointment when the receptionist said, "Oops". Not good, even from a receptionist. It appeared that since I'm only 35 I shouldn't be getting these every year. It's not necessary until 40. It all boiled down to, insurance could possibly deny it. She then asked if I had a family history that would warrant a yearly exam at my age. I let her have it, the details, the gory details. I held nothing back. Mom, grandma, great aunts. Ages, recurrences, complications. She just stared. Then she asked me to call a doctor and discuss being in a high risk group that will help set new guidelines.
So there! I might be high risk enough to warrant it! Wait, is that a good thing? I'm still trying to decide about calling the doctor.
If they'd had a People, this decision would be so much easier.
Sunday, September 21, 2008
2. I am a procrastinator which does not go well with my OCD.
3. I cannot go to bed on a Friday night until I watch What Not To Wear. It doesn't matter if it's 1 a.m.
4. I live across the street from the house that I grew up in.
5. My mom, her mom, and four of my grandma's sisters have had breast cancer and I'm still not doing self exams.
6. I really don't think I'll be able to think of 100 things...and I'm only on 6.
7. I realized today that because of the half marathon training I will not be able to sleep in until January 24th.
8. My dad has always been a healthy eater so I didn't have a carbonated beverage until I was a freshman in high school.
9. I never read books that have any substance to them at all. I want to be entertained. Erma Bombeck is my favorite author.
10. I thought the boyfriend before Shawn was taking me out for my birthday to propose. Instead he gave me a nose pencil sharpener and broke up with me.
11. I met Shawn 17 days later and knew he was the one!
12. I desperately want to find a signature or hidden treasure in my house so I can be on an episode of 'If Walls Could Talk'.
13. I sit cross legged every where that I possibly can. If I could do it in a skirt or dress I'd sit that way in church! I've even done it while driving with the cruise on. Don't tell!
14. I fell in love with presidents in 5th grade when I had to do a report on each one.
15. James Buchanan is my favorite president because he was born on my birthday:)
16. William Shakespeare was born on my birthday, too! :)
17. I have to stop and think before I say the word 'peculiar' or it won't come out right.
18. McKinley was a surprise. We'd only been married 4 months when I found out I was pregnant.
19. It took a year and a half and a prescription for fertility pills before I got pregnant with Kennedy.
20. Reagan was another surprise!
21. Our dog Jackie 'O' is our fifth dog. She's stayed longer then any of the rest.
22. I never buy clothes for anyone in the family unless they're on sale.
23. Is my favorite number. My mom and I were both born on the 23rd.
24. Shoes, jewelry, and home furnishings have to be on sale, too.
25. The couches in my living room were a wedding gift to my parents.
26. I'm dying to have them recovered.
27. I think my DVR was the greatest invention ever!
28. My wedding dress only cost $300. I was a sale shopper even before I got married!
29. We got married at Christmas time so that I wouldn't have to pay to have the church decorated. It was already there and perfect!
30. I could eat an entire box of Kraft Macaroni and Cheese everyday and never tire of it. For that reason, I can't have it in my house.
31. I will buy any book that was published by Funk and Wagnalls, no matter what the subject.
32. I love old movies; musical are the best! Bing Crosby, Frank Sinatra, Fred Astaire make me swoon!
33. I do not have any space left in my house for another piece of furniture. That upsets me.
34. My dad owned a bakery when I was growing up.
35. I LOVE the smell, feel, and taste of fresh baked bread!
36. I lived in Colorado for 10 summers.
37. I had my lipstick tattooed on as a reward for losing 40 pounds.
38. I am a list maker. I'd be lost without them!
39. If I am still awake at 10 at night I get a second wind and I'm not tired until around midnight.
40. I married a morning person.
41. When my parents divorced while I was in 5th grade I thought I had to change my last name to my mom's maiden. I started writing it on school papers.
42. I love any piece of furniture that belonged to someone in my family. Most of the stuff in my house is someone elses and is priceless to me!
43. I truly believe I could have been a good singer and piano player if I had had the courage to perform in front of people.
44. I am hoping my girls will live my dream.
45. I wish I could have been a mom in the early 60's like June Cleaver or Laura Petrie.
46. I will never again have the body to wear skinny jeans.
47. When I decorated our first house I did it all 'Country'. It was one of the biggest mistakes I've ever made.
48. If I had been a boy my name would have been Garth Wayne Funk. Thank you Lord that I was a girl!
49. I spent two years at a different middle school and was so miserable I tried to kill myself.
50. One of the biggest regrets in my life is not having my grandpa walk me halfway down the aisle at my wedding, he was just as much a dad to me as my real one.
51. I would love to have magical powers like Samantha in Bewitched.
52. I'm watching Bewitched right now!
53. I am so in love with my new Instinct cell phone that I've caught myself wanting to kiss it.
54. When I got married I couldn't stand the thought of getting rid of my maiden name. I got rid of 'Dawn' and kept Funk. I'll always be Stefunk!
55. I am so allergic to MSG that there are only a few restaurants that I can eat at and only a few menu items I can have.
56. If I do get a migraine because of MSG I go blind for 30-60 minutes before the headache hits.
57. My mom lived next door to where I live now when she first moved to Oklahoma.
58. I didn't pay enough attention to my blog and just figured out that my 100th blog isn't going to be this one. This is 101!
59. If we had boys their names would have been Jackson Stone and Harrison Funk.
60. We will never have a boy!
61. Little boys scare me...and break things.
62. I refused to date an only child. I wanted my future children to have aunts and uncles and cousins.
63. My girls middle names are my moms, my grandmothers, and my great-grandmothers names.
64. My body doesn't know how to go into labor on it's own.
65. I drove a school bus for 7 years and changed my college major from teaching to accounting because I realized I couldn't be around children!
66. I have a very real fear of dying of breast cancer complications at 54 just like my mom and her mom did.
67. I should be weight lifting right now.
68. Although Erma Bombeck is my favorite author, 'To Kill A Mockingbird' is my favorite book.
69. The movie didn't do the book justice.
70. I have two tattoos and I'm planning one more.
71. I want to lose 50 pounds before I get the third one. The area needs to be flat!
72. I wanted to have four children but had Fifth Disease while pregnant with Reagan and changed my mind!
73. I am not registered to vote and don't ever plan to be.
74. I am a basketweaver.
75. I get to have a girls weekend in Branson in 4 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
76. I'm hoping my house isn't destroyed when I come home.
77. I don't like scary movies.
78. I am watching the Emmy's right now and don't know what any of these shows are!
79. I'm really only watching it to see the dresses that the women are wearing.
80. I am wondering if I have enough talent to start a photography business.
81. I have a really good friend that's a guy. He just moved away. I miss him.
82. I don't understand why electronics mess up for me and don't for Shawn.
83. I corrupted Shawn, he didn't want a tv when we were dating.
84. I am really wondering if I will continue to run after I'm done with the half marathon in January.
85. I am really scared about not raising the rest of my money for the race.
86. I am not a good enough cook to make my own recipes up. I have to have exact measurements and a picture so I now what the end product is supposed to look like.
87. I want Jennifer Aniston's arms.
88. I can't wait for Tuesday when the 'Sex in the City' movie comes out on DVD!!
89. I am a huge fan of sitting. If I could sit and cook I would be so happy!
90. I am procrastinating on painting the girls room because it will be an almost endless project.
91. I used to spend one day cooking and freezing 30 meals. I nearly lost my mind.
92. We buy a side of beef each year from a local rancher. It tastes incredible!
93. I've been trying to talk Shawn into getting a pig for almost 4 years.
94. I could watch 'Sweet Home Alabama' over and over again.
95. I am sitting next to three loads of laundry that need to be folded.
96. I'm nearing the end and really scrambling for things now.
97. I need to lose 50 pounds before Shawn's 20th high school reunion in two weeks.
98. I don't think I will be able to.
99. I can't believe people will actually read 100 things about me.
100. I hope you'll be able to stay awake until the end!
101. I'm so afraid I'll put myself to sleep proofing this that I'm just leaving it as is!
Friday, September 19, 2008
Only to reappear in two weeks at another house for more fund raising.
With four runners stuff and numerous friends donating items, we made $1,280.45!! We each kept the money from our own items and split the money from the donated items. We all have a nice sum to donate toward our run.
I have pictures to share but I have to go get ready for a run! I have to run 3 miles tonight so I'll be ready to do 5 on Sunday morning.
I can hardly move at this point. Hope some good music on my Zen will get me through my run.
If you never hear from me again, know that I love each of you. All 10 of you that I know read this crazy thing!
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
If you noticed that there were two, not three then you are much more observant and awake then I am right now.
I have spent most of the day in my garage pricing and trying desperately to organize the mountains of items that four runners and several precious friends have compiled. Four of us are selling our own items and we are splitting the profits from the donated items. I'm hoping that each of us will get at least $100 for our fund raising. With the amount of stuff in my garage, it should be $200! Just to make the money a logistical nightmare, I'm separately selling stuff from the girls room to make money to buy paint and new bedspreads.
Yes, I know, I'm insane.
If I survive, and that's a big if, I will let you know how it goes. I've been up since 5 a.m. and plan to get up at that time tomorrow also to start getting ready. Yikes!
If someone could deliver lunch, a masseuse, and a manicurist around 11:30 a.m., I'd appreciate it.
I might even tip you.
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Have you seen it? Two wives, who are absolute opposites, switch places for two weeks. For one week they follow the house rules, the next, they enforce their own. Of course they pick Republicans/punk rockers, disciplined families/do what you want families...I never knew there were people like this in the world! I know I live in my Nazarene bubble, across the street from where I grew up, but come on. Are there really people who let their children do whatever they want, no responsibility, no rules, no consequences? Are there families who live in filth and think it's normal? Are there married couples who share their bed with a goat? Are there families who are so scheduled that children aren't allowed to speak to their father after 9 p.m.? Yes, there are, and they're on Wife Swap!
I can't look away!
Send help, I have to get up at 4:55 a.m. to run 3 miles.
It's now 11:43, and the wives have just read the families their new rules.
Better go set the coffee pot to start in the morning.
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Winston Churchill-Our cousin George-Margaret Thatcher-
We were excited to see President Kennedy,
and then President Reagan.The show ended and next to me came a little whimper.
I put my arm around her and told her, "But you have a mountain honey."She was not amused.
Friday, September 12, 2008
Anywho...I like to check from time to time to see how they found me. Here are some of my recent favorites.
1.) bathing mom girlies
2.) brackets cute
3.) bubble stick string
5.) where's the beef old lady
6.) juicing for the lungs
1.) Camarillo, California-bathing mom girlies-interesting thing to type in, I must say! But I can't help you with that. I am not a bathing mom as was in my Yes, I'm being lazy post. I was reminded why recently while watching Seinfeld. Kramer took a bath and hated it. He described it to Jerry as 'sitting in a tepid pool of my own filth.' I don't think I could have said it better if I'd tried.
2.) Mexico-brackets cute-I'm just taking a guess but I would think you didn't want to find out my magical method of choosing March Madness teams by cutest coach. Sorry about that.
3.) Estherville, Iowa-bubble stick string-you might have actually found what you were looking for when you came to me! Imagine that! I think our string was a little thick but thankfully my cookie cutter collection saved our bubble blowing day!
4.) Los Angeles, California-reaganisms-bet you didn't remember President Reagan wanting a Hamster Swing, did you? It didn't get very much news coverage.
5.) Wallingford, Connecticut-where the beef old lady-I loved her! She is one of the few commercials I remember from my youth. You probably didn't want this though when you typed that in. My apologies.
6.) ????????-juicing for the lungs-I would love to know what you found after you left my site because it in no ways helped you with your request. I wish you luck with your juicing! Oh, and good job keeping your city and state off the statcounter. Wonder how you did that.......
Well, there it is. The searches that brought people to my blog. I have found a new obsession. Like I needed another one of those. Keep searching and finding me. It helps me spend more time on the couch!!
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Now I'm glad Shawn didn't get around to paining!
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
You'll never guess what she asked for...a Hamster Swing.
We've had hamsters, twice. A mom and daughter first. The mom ate the daughter. I discovered it. I haven't fully recovered. Next we had a set of brothers. The little one ate the big one. I discovered it. I still have nightmares. We will never again have hamsters.
So why do we need a Hamster Swing? I had to know more.
I mentioned to her that we didn't have hamsters. She said we didn't need one. I asked her where we would put it, she said in the tree. When I asked her which tree she pointed out the window and told me it would be where the old one was.
A Hammock Swing! It's all making sense!
I wonder if Santa reads my blog.
Monday, September 8, 2008
Saturday, September 6, 2008
The cookbooks should be ready to sell in about 2 months. If you'd like to pre-order one for $20, plus shipping, you can e-mail me; email@example.com. I'm very proud of it. It was a lot of work but I feel like it was well worth it. Many of the recipes are from the runners and they all look delicious! Well, except for the seafood...oh, and the liver and onions. All the money that's made will go to the $3,600 that each runner has to raise.
On a different note. I ran 4 miles this morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, ran/walked. Our current pattern is walk 2 minutes/run 6 minutes. That figures out to be about a 13 minute mile. I'll totally accept that. We were downtown and had quite a few hills and one bridge that was so steep I was looking for Jesus at the top, but I did it! Even though I'd only had 4 hours of sleep I felt empowered. I could do anything!
Anything like ride home and take a 2 and a half hour nap.
Drop by my fundraising page and check my progress. I will be updating my letter shortly with some new information. I want everyone to know that I went 4 miles!!!
Friday, September 5, 2008
The air is getting crisper. I can just feel it. I love fall, it's one of my four favorite seasons. The chill in the air, needing a jacket if out late, soup, chili, pumpkins, crunchy leaves. Oh, I'm so excited.
The promise of football means more time with friends because football is basically chatting time for me. There is a game going on but I don't really pay that much attention. Besides glancing at the scoreboard from time to time, you can get all the information you need by listening to the fans.
The girls run off to catch crickets, play cheerleader, watch the boys play football, and leave me alone.
I'm so excited!
Wednesday, September 3, 2008
I always do that and then finish with, "Must be because you look so much like me."
She beat me to it today. She said, "You're all those things too, Mommy. Just not in those clothes."
I could feel the love.
Tuesday, September 2, 2008
3 month rental and fees for Kennedy's viola- $71
1st month of piano for all three girls- $240
Leotards and tights for Kennedy & Reagan's dance classes-$35
Ballet slippers and Jazz shoes for dance- $42
Happy looks on mom's and girls' faces- Priceless
Look on dad's face----- SHEER PANIC!!!
Monday, September 1, 2008
Apparently bird catching can make some people a little crazy!