Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Marinated Steaks

With turkey on Thanksgiving and ham on Christmas I have always struggled with what to do for Easter.

Several years ago when we started buying half a cow from a local rancher I suddenly had an over abundance of steaks. Four or five different types. I am not a steak fan. I have eaten it, on occasion, with a ton of ketchup. There's a rancher/farmer in Amarillo who doesn't remember my name but talks about that girl who needed ketchup to eat one of his steaks. I try not to run into him face to face.

A few years ago I decided it was time to venture into the steak recipes in my recipe box. Heaven forbid that I just grill them! I certainly can't leave well enough alone. I pulled out three marinated steak recipes and asked Shawn to pick one. He chose this one simply because it had hot sauce in it. No other reason. He just likes hot food. I thawed the steaks, poured the marinade over, stuck them in the fridge, started a massive home improvement project, and promptly forgot about them for four days.

When I luckily remembered they were there they passed the Shawn Sniff Test and he slapped them on the grill. I couldn't believe how good they were when I worked up the nerve to taste some! I am now a steak lover!

It takes a lot of ingredients...but they're so worth it! And, um...yea. See that Soy Sauce that I had to balance on top of the ketchup to make it fit in the pictures. Well, ignore it. This recipe doesn't have soy sauce in it. I apparently was looking a my Mushroom Pasta Pilaf recipe instead of the steak one.

And, um...ignore the pepper, too.

Sorry.

Since I really don't know all that much about steak, I just grab whatever type I find when I start digging in the deep freeze.

I ended up with four Rib Eyes and four Kansas City.

I melt my butter in this awesome little butter melter. I'm sure it has a real name. All you Pampered Chef fans are cringing right now. My mom had ordered it at a party right before her death. When friends from work came to pay their respects they gave me her order. I love and still use all of the items.

Try them and let me know what you think.

Marinated Steaks

1/2 c. butter, melted
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/4 c. ketchup
2 T. Worcestershire sauce
2 T. cider vinegar
2 T. olive or vegetable oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 t. salt
1 t. sugar
1/2 t. hot pepper sauce
Dash cayenne pepper
6 beef rib eye steaks (about 1 inch thick and 12 ounces each)

In a large resealable bag, combine the first 11 ingredients. Add the steaks. Seal bag and coat; refrigerate for 6 hours or overnight.

Drain and discard marinade. Grill steaks, uncovered, over medium-hot heat for 8-10 minutes or until the meat reaches desired doneness (for rare, a meat thermometer should read 140; medium, 160; well-done, 170).


6 comments:

Renee said...

Okay, first off, I'm SO glad to know that I'm not the only one who has to eat steaks with ketchup!! Nicholas thinks I'm insane!! lol! And I have that same Pampered Chef thingy...it's great! :D
I'm a steak girl, so I'm going to try your marinade...I'll let you know!! Love ya!

Robin said...

I like the really thick strip steaks from Sam's and all I put on them is Weber's Grill Rub...Burgandy...again my spelling is bad. But it's soo good. And cooked just medium rare....ooooh so good. And if it's cooked right....sauce is needed to eat it. The meat carries itself.

Margaret Glyn said...

Take it from one who knows--the steak was delicious, as was the asparagus, home-made rolld, broccoli and rice casserole, etc. Thanks for a lovely Easter dinner, Stephanie.

Cozyflier said...

OK niece!!! You get too fancy on mariandes!!!! Have you ever tried just Worstchire and Beer??? Oh and some seasoned salt?

This sounds good, may have to go buy a bunch of stuff!

Anonymous said...

I use the Pampered Chef steamer for all my veggies. I have never used it to melt butter. I use it all the time though. I love to steam fresh broccoli with butter, salt and pepper. YUMMY!

Crazed Mom's Man said...

DON'T DISCARD THE MARINADE!!!! I JUST POUR IT ALL OVER THE STEAKS WHEN I PUT THEM ON THE GRILL :-)