Thursday, June 9, 2011

Work Day #2

A few years ago I was in Texas helping Carrie organize her mom's house.  I came across this frame in the dining room.  I fell in love.  I could see pictures in it hanging somewhere in my house.  But, it wasn't up for grabs.  But Carrie remembered how much I loved it when she was moving her mom into assisted living.  It stayed in my patio for almost a year while I tried to decide what to do with it. 

It was definately showing its age and with the different sized openings it was going to be hard to get pictures in it. 

Still not sure what to do with it I decided it needed paint.  It was pretty damaged and I thought that would be a good way to camoflauge that. 

Of course it had to be sanded first.  You know how I love my sanding blocks:)

After a light sanding I primed it and painted it black.  I heart spray paint.

But then what?  It finally hit me when I was in the pool house.  Chicken wire.  I'd kept some that was given to me for my garage sale a year ago hoping to find a project to use it in.  So I chickened wired.  For hours.  Uncurl, staple down, cut, and twist the raw edges down with needlenose pliers.  My arms were cut up and scratched but it was so worth it.
But with it being all black it lost something.  The beautiful detail was gone.   
So I used some silver Rub 'n Buff and had all the pretty detail back.
After spray painting some mini clothespins Green Apple it was ready to hang in my hallway.
What do you think??

1 comment:

Cozyflier said...

Came out beautiful!! So glad it can be loved again. I know it has been in the family a very long time. I'm betting that frame is over 100 yrs as Mom was not going to get rid of it!

Hugs,
Carrie